Sunday, September 30, 2007

Deja vu all over again..

So I learned something amazing and new last night at the wedding without the wedding. Jennifer and I are friends with a group of folks from Crowe Chizek, an accounting/consulting firm that Jennifer used to work for.

Included in that group is Kathy Koehler who was there last night. As we made our move to the finger-food table which included one of the oddest items I have ever tried (more on that later) we had a discussion about the fact that Kathy was on vacation and leaving Monday I believe for a vacation on the New England coast.

Upon learning this I mused that while I was born in Massachusetts, I had unfortunately spent no time there since my birth. Kathy looked at me amused and said, I was born in Massachusetts too. Where? Shirley, Mass at the Fort Devens Army Hospital.

At this point Jenn's face and I'm sure mine as well, were showing a "you're screwing with me right?" look. I was born in that same hospital in September of 1971. Kathy in October of 1971. Her father spent a short time in the Army and they moved to Germany shortly after her birth. My father was in the Air Force for 21 years and we hopped all over the place before he retired in 1976. I think the link above is the right hospital, I found two names, Lovell and Cutler, but either way, the hospital at Ft. Devens was closed in 1996 as part of the military's down-sizing.

My take is that after 25 years of trying they couldn't come close to duplicating their successful deliveries of Kathy and I in the fall of 1971.

Anyways, I was completely amazed that despite knowing Kathy for about 6 years and spending a pretty significant amount of time over a bar table and some drinks we never figured this out.

As for the odd finger food? How about this...candied crabs... Yes, entire crabs about the size of a dime. The cook said they were candy...ok, I'll bite. So I try them, they taste like fish, as you would expected and nothing like the candy I like, say Butterfinger, Reese's Cup or Snickers. Oh well. Can't complain too much considering the lack of the service.

No comments: