Friday, January 18, 2008

Couldn't have one without the other

Jenn and I went to BW3 for dinner the other night after grocery shopping. After figuring out that we were standing at the maitradee stand instead of just ordering we were greeted by a quite competent girl working behind the counter and training a new but challenged employee.

The competent girl had two necklaces, one with the star of David and one with three crosses on it. I found that a bit odd. The Jewish people I know wouldn't wear a cross and the Christian people I know wouldn't wear a star of David. So knowing me, ya'll know what came next.

Bryan: So you have the Star of David AND crosses. What's with that? Couldn't decide?
BW3 Girl: Well, just thought you can't have one without the other so I have both.

Hmm....can't have one without the other. Christians might say that since they know Jesus was a Jew. Jews however might not agree. In fact my boy Baer chuckled out loud when I told him this story. In my honest opinion Judaism could exist and does possibly exist without Jesus and Christianity. They don't need us, but we need them so to speak.
So to my friend at BW3. I love your ambition, but you could be mistaken. Just a bit, maybe.

1 comment:

Bubbernem said...

I hope you enjoyed your meal, but I have to agree that your new friend is either, uneducated in religious history or just confused. While Jesus was a Jew, all Jews are not Jesus. It was an unusual concept though.