Friday, May 9, 2008

Where have all the Bugs gone?

Many years ago, my brother and I played a game called Punch Bug. I have no idea where it came from but I know we didn't think of it.

Essentially the rules of the game were two fold. First, the first person to see a VW Bug and this was in the mid 1980s when they were everywhere, said "Punch-Bug Red" and then Second slugged the opposing player in the arm. You also accumulated points, 1 for all colors except Red which you got 10 points. You could also get bonus points for a convertible or other variations.

Unfortunately those Bugs slowly dwindled until the new Bug came out in the early 2000s I think. Anyway, at that point, I couldn't stay married very long playing punch bug with Jennifer so we altered to the rules to make it win-win shall we say. However, without the loveable old Bug, it wasn't quite the same.

That is until we went to Mexico. I suppose Puerto Vallarta is where all Bugs go to die. I mean, I wouldn't mind going there to die. But check out the photos below. These were all taken within about 1 hour stretch on the same block and I likely only took photos of about 1/2 of the ones we saw. (Pardon the photo quality...they are from my cellphone). Oh and we snuck in a photo of a VW bus and one photo where there were 2 Bugs in the same photo (far right on top row)

Later in the trip on a 30-minute bus ride to down town at night we decided to count how many we saw. We made it somewhere around 40 in 30 minutes. Amazing.

So there you have it...if you need parts or an old-school VW, you know where to go. South of the Border baby!

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

Hi Bryan,
That's interesting! Joe used to have a white bug, his first car when he was 16. I guess it may have ended up down there with all the other Bugs. Hope y'all have had a great trip!

Bubbernem said...

IU truly have to say, that I never gave it that much thought. I was glad they were gone. That being said< i guess it is true that Mexico is infested with Bugs! Ha! Hey Willie! I kill Me! I trust you had an enjoyable trip. Have a safe journey home and we will try to see you for some holiday in MS real soon.